Depot Museum Complex

Built in 1905.  Daniel Tierney the 1st station agent retired in Condon.  UPRR donated the building, and the museum opened in this building in 1985.  Original location was across the highway in the field behind Inland Chemical.  See additional information by Tierney portraits on the office wall.  Houses cemetery records, birth and marriage records, newspapers dating back to 1900, files from past genealogy searches as well as early farm equipment and vignettes of early life in the area.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Silas A Rice Log House

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. Built by Silas Adelbert Rice and his wife, Mary Jane, in 1884.  They came to Condon from Utah via Idaho.  Logs were hauled from Lost Valley, and hand hewn with an axe.  Original location was 2 1/2 miles north of town on Hwy 19, east side of road.  Gifted to the Historical Society in 1986, at which time volunteers dismantled, numbered each piece, and then reconstructed the cabin at this site.  Photos are all members of the Rice family, who lived in the cabin.  The cabin is furnished so that it most closely resembles how it looked to Doc Rice, when he was a child growing up in the cabin. The original Homestead Certificate signed by Theodore Roosevelt on September 15, 1902 was donated to the Society and now hangs in the cabin.

 

 

 

Old Union Pacific Railcar

Built in 1966, it was donated to the museum in 1994 by Union Pacific, who also delivered and set it here for us.  The railroad played a vital role in the history of Gilliam County.  Ag commodities left for market on it, as well as buyers coming in on it.  Our boys left for World War II via the railroad.  Rail Service to Condon was abandoned in the 1980.s.  In 1905 the railroad was completed from Arlington to Condon.  With the advent of home grain storage ideas and a decline in economy in the smaller communities the use of the railroad was eventually diminished.  The depot at the Condon yard was closed  and later moved to its current site to become the county historical museum.

 

 

 

 
   

Old Condon City Hall and Jail

Originally located somewhere near the RR tracks and depot, it was donated and moved here in 2004 from downtown, where it served as the City Hall, Sheriff’s Office, Jail and housed the Fire Dept.. hose cart.  Today it houses the County’s only permanent Veteran’s memorial display.  Gilliam County residents have served in wars from the Civil War to present.  The County was also home to a Radar base, west of town, for over 20 years in the 50’s, 60’s and early 1970’s.

 

 

Brown School House

Built in approximately 1905.  Originally located 2 miles north of town.  There has been 45 country schools in our county's past: this is a wonderful representation of the average school house.  Bought in 1987 for $1 and moved to this site. 

 

 

 

 

Tonsorial Parlor for Men

Built before 1900, originally located in downtown Condon, facing into the alley that ran behind the businesses on Main Street.  Originally it was a "Crib", or a one woman brothel.  This is one of several, and was purchased by Mr. Parman, and moved to a better location for use as his law office.  It has also been a barbershop (where a haircut, shave or bath cost 25 cents), a residence and other small businesses in the past.  Donated and moved to this location in 1990. 

 

   

Chapel is Newest Addition

Originally located in Mayville, the building was donated in 2009 and moved to this site.  It was a Catholic church in Mayville, and later used as a farm shop.  Our newest acquisition, we are currently collecting religious memorabilia from the county, and after making the needed repairs to the building, it will be seen as a non-denominational representative of the churches in the county.

 

 

 

Outhouse

Built in 1905 on a ranch in Mikkalo on property owned by Annie Cook.  Gifted to the Historical Society in 1995, it is unique in that it has a glass window that opens!   AND it is a "3 holer"!

 

 

 

 

 

Machinery Building

Built in the Spring of 1998 from donated funds and grant monies.  Houses machinery and equipment displays.

 

 

 

 

   
Museum Volunteer   Gilliam County Museum Sign on Hwy 19   Museum Volunteer